Burlington 802.864.0217       Middlebury 802.388.6356 Payments


Rights of Out-of-State Same Sex Couples Expanded

The Vermont legislature has passed, and Governor Shumlin has signed into law, H.758, a bill that will allow same sex couples from out-of-state, who came to Vermont to be married or to join in a civil union and then went back home, the right to obtain a divorce or a dissolution of a civil union in Vermont. Under the new law, such couples can obtain a divorce or a dissolution in Vermont if: they got married or entered into a civil union in Vermont; their home state doesn’t recognize their marriage or civil union; they don’t have any minor children; and they file a stipulation as to all aspects of the divorce or dissolution and waive the final hearing.

Leave a Reply