James W. Swift
Jim’s trial practice includes representing plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases, as well as automobile accidents, ski area liability, premises liability, fire and farming accidents, and professional negligence. He represents owners and contractors in construction disputes in the trial and appellate courts. Jim has successfully tried many cases enforcing wills and trusts against claims of undue influence and incapacity.
Representative cases include:
- Rear end car collision with a $695,000 jury verdict;
- Lake Champlain boating accident claim with loss of limb – $2.75 million settlement;
- Northeast Kingdom car collision with significant orthopedic injuries – $750,000;
- Car collision in Williston, Vermont with significant orthopedic injuries – $600,000;
- Motorcycle collision in Warren, Vermont with significant orthopedic injuries – $500,000;
- Estate contest with a multi-million dollar settlement after Probate Court trial;
- $3 million settlement for a family injured in a motor vehicle collision;
- Significant settlements for children sexually abused by a therapist.
Jim is a frequent presenter at continuing legal education seminars on such varied topics as litigation strategies, insurance and uninsured/underinsured motorist issues, construction law, and estate litigation.
Jim is a native Vermonter whose family history stretches back to the prerevolutionary period. As the firm’s managing partner, Jim is actively involved in all aspects of the firm’s business.
Northeastern University School of Law (J.D. 1982); University of Vermont (B.A. 1978)
Admitted to state and federal courts in Vermont
Vermont and American Bar Associations; Vermont and American Associations for Justice
Jim has been annually recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®— the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession — as a leading attorney in Personal Injury Litigation for Plaintiffs since 2010. He was named by Best Lawyers as Vermont’s “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury Litigation for Plaintiffs in 2022. Jim’s numerable recognitions also include Vermont’s only state-wide business publication, Vermont Biz, which has repeatedly featured him in its yearly list of “Top Business Lawyers”.